Week 1 & 2
Aug 21 - Sept 02
Résumé and Cover Letter
WRITE your résumé / cover letter.
CREATE a LinkedIn account. Add your résumé info and a link to your online portfolio. Some basic tutorials for LinkedIn.
Get a Job
FIND an internship site to work. Here is a list of job boards to get you started:
Purchase your Supplies
Week 3 & 4
Sept 03 - 16
Branding Yourself Continued and Networking
Branding Yourself, Due Before 09.11
FINISH PREPPING FOR THE INTERNSHIP FAIR
Network, Due 09.08
Elevator Speech, Due 09.08
Blog - Portfolio Display
Internship Fair, 09.11
ATTEND - JRC INTERNSHIP FAIR & SYMPOSIUM
Monday, Sept. 11, 2017, 5:30-8 p.m. in Building M
Symposium 5:30-6:30 p.m. * Fair 6:30 p.m
Resumes, business attire and registration required.
Register by Sept. 8. To register contact Marie Harrell at email@example.com
Students interested in obtaining an internship must meet eligibility requirements.
Funding provided in whole or in part by the Illinois Community College Board
Bring your business cards too!
The Business of Design, Due 09.16
Week 5 & 6
Sept 17 - 30
HOURS CHECK-IN: Email the professor an update of how many internship hours you have worked. Use the time-log template below - add in your own dates / times that you have worked; under details add client name and project info.
Hours depend on working environment:
So by week 6 you should have worked a minimum of:
Here is the link for today's meeting.
Week 7 & 8
Oct 01 - 14
The Business of Design, Due 10.12
Mid-Term, Week 8
Due 10.12 at 4p
This week is our Synchronous Online Meeting using Google Hangouts. Please practice before our meeting so you are ready to use the technology needed for this meeting.
By week 8 you should have worked a minimum of:
Week 9 & 10
Oct 15 - 28
CATCH UP week.
No new homework.
Do not forget to do the following from our video chat meeting:
Send me an email with
Please note that if you did not attend the INTERNSHIP FAIR in September this is your only other opportunity to complete this assignment.
JRC Internship Presentation - Not required, just an FYI.
Week 13 & 14
Nov 12 - 25
Week 15 & 16
Nov 26 - Dec 07
Internship Portfolio DUE 12.07.17
Internship Portfolio created in InDesign - package the file for submission - containing:
- Professional materials: Résumé and Cover Letter, Business Card, digital portfolio (screenshots and link to online portfolio) and print portfolio (PDF), general artist / ethic statement (this is your elevator speech)
- Two-page summary of what you learned from the book readings you completed this semester. (basic font, 11pt, single spaced, .5 margins)
- Samples of client work organized by client with a signed Memo of Understanding for each client as "chapter headings".
- 1-page spreadsheet: include client name, client company, client contact info, freelance or on-site, how many hours you worked at each client per project. Must include total hours worked.
- Must submit these to the JRC.
- Add a digital copy of each to your final digital submission.
- Submit all of the above in digital format to your professor no later than December 7th. I will put a folder in GROUPS on campus for your final submission.
Here is a folder structure and instructions for what each folder should contain. You have already completed most of this work with the exception of the internship portfolio, simply organize it.